Vacancy Member University Council
Do you want to represent the interests of more than 30,000 students to the University Board? Do you want to learn how to debate, advocate and do networking, and be a student who can make a difference? Are you passionate about education, student wellbeing, sustainability or another important theme? Then apply for the University Council fraction of Lijst VUUR! Be aware that the deadline is on April 1st, 2022 at 23:59!
What is VUUR?
VUUR (Association of Utrecht University Councils) is active in all layers of student representation. Through our network, student representatives from the university council to the faculty council to the SC with whom they can tackle any problems together. This makes us unavoidable for any Board member and thus an important player in university policy. That is the power of VUUR. Important documents, such as the budget, the strategic plan and administrative grants are submitted to the University Council (UC or U-Council, UR/U-Raad in Dutch) for approval. This way, you as a student representative can monitor governance and policy and make improvements where possible. We also come up with our own initiatives, which we submit to the university’s Executive Board.
Who are we looking for?
On our list for the elections in 2022, we would like to see substantively strong students. Naturally, we would like to see students who are (willing to be) involved in the organisation of Utrecht University. In addition, the ideal candidate has the following qualities: (preference, no requirement)
- Critical thinking skills;
- Result-oriented with realistic goals;
- Eye for strategy;
- Good communication skills;
- Assertive and proactive;
- Team player;
- Any previous experience as a representative;
- Organisational skills.
What are you going to do?
As a council member for VUUR, your activities will include:
- Proposing and defending your own initiatives;
- Analysing documents and formulating policy recommendations;
- Assessing the course of events within the university as a whole;
- Maintaining strategic contacts, for example with directors and fellow council members;
- Maintaining contacts with many concerned discussion partners and supporters (fellow students and VUUR);
- Participating in the activities and training of the University Council and VUUR.
- The time investment is 0.8 FTE (32 hours);
- The formal starting date is 1 September 2022;
- The compensation for the council work is approx. €8,400.00 per year;
- Possibility of flex-study;
- Possible additional provisions in case of special circumstances;
- Presence during the campaign period and the elections (16-18 May) is mandatory;
- The work-in period starts at the end of March and can be combined with other activities.
What do we offer?
We will do our utmost to prepare the selected candidates optimally for the elections and the following council year. Furthermore, we and the University Council offer trainings and workshops, as well as social activities! After a year with fraction VUUR, you will be a seasoned debater, lobbyist and all-round leader. You know all the ins and outs of Utrecht University and know how to make a political difference. Former VUUR councillors from many different sectors indicate that they still use knowledge from the fraction in their work frequently. VUUR also provided them with a large network. (Former) VUUR council members are or have been employed by student organisations such as the ISO, the LSVb and the LOF, in local or national politics, at ministries or at political parties.
Because of COVID-19, VUUR can unfortunately offer little certainty about the course of the campaign. We try to involve the electoral list as much as possible in this process.
How can I apply?
Do you recognise yourself in the above profile and are you enthusiastic about the tasks? Then respond quickly! You can apply until April 1st, 2022 by sending your CV and a motivation letter (1 to 2 A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, include at least one substantive point that you would like to discuss in the University Council. This may be very specific, but may also be a general idea. Upon receipt, we will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as possible.
After that, the first interviews will take place to get acquainted. Subsequently, applicants will work on a case together in an afternoon, as VUUR attaches great importance to good mutual cooperation. These dates will be announced as soon as possible.
If you have any questions concerning this vacancy, please do not hesitate to contact us! You can reach us at email@example.com. We will then see who is best able to answer your question!